Sunday 13 March 2011

Cornflake Macaroons

To slide along with the healthy theme this blog has taken as of late, I've also started toying with recipes that fit in with certain dietary needs, partly to insert a little variety, partly to challenge myself and partly as an effort to be healthier.

It's just the next step as well. There are only so many recipes where I can substitute wholegrain flour for plain or applesauce and oil for butter. So I'll make a play at differernt things.

As many explanations as I can make, macaroons don't really fit the above bill, do they? These are slightly healthy, low in calories and sugar but still high in white sugar.

But they are wheat free, which is what I've been into lately.

Pancake day left me so uncomfortable and achy I started playing with the idea of wheat sensitivities, etc.

So we'll jump right in, flour-free.

2oz cornflakes
2oz chopped almonds
2 egg whites
7oz caster sugar
1 tbsp honey
3oz coconut
1/2 tsp almond essence

Preheat oven to 300F/gas 4

Crush cornflakes. Set aside. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold sugar into egg whites. Fold in leveled tablespoon honey with cornflakes, coconut and almond essence.

Pile onto greased or lined baking sheet by tablespoon-fulls about 1 inch apart. Spread flat if you want them more cookie-looking. I left mine in mounds which made them stand out in my cookie platter more.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until pale golden. Don't overcook as darker bottoms really alter the flavour of these.

Sorry I don't have a picture. They were quickly piled onto a baked goods platter for a church social event then quickly demolished.

No comments:

Post a Comment