Monday 28 June 2010

Coconut Slices

I didn't run the race in the time I wanted yesterday but on the hottest day of the year so far, I guess I'll take it. And it helps me do better next time, given me a goal on which to improve.

The picnic, albeit shorten because of the race delay and the impending England v Germany game, was very nice as well. A lot of food (mostly carbs), nice sunshine and even better company. While not many ate the coconut slices I made (actually I was the only one), they got rave reviews (from myself and M, who ate a leftover later). 

The recipe originally calls for 375g frozen shortcrust pastry to line a 20cm square pan but I just doubled Eva's pastry recipe and used the leftovers for Saturday night's jam tarts. 



5 tbsp jam (I used Summer Berry jam I made earlier in the month but raspberry would be good too)
175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
175g desiccated (shredded) coconut
40g self raising flour
Enough pastry to line whatever pan you wish to use.

Blind bake the pastry at 200c/gas 6 for 10 minutes. Remove foil and beans/rice and bake another 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 180/gas 4.

Spread jam onto the base of pastry.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, coconut, and flour. Beat until evenly mixed. Pour gently onto the jam. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Dust with icing sugar if you wish.

This keeps really well in an air-tight container so it can be made the night before for a picnic or party.

No comments:

Post a Comment