Monday 7 June 2010

Scones & a Cuppa

Did you know...
84% of people living in the UK live in England?
The UK holds 78 seats in the European Parliament?
The Huguenots came to Britain to avoid religious persecution?
There are twice as many Hindus as Jews in the UK?

In celebration for passing my Life in the UK test this morning I thought I'd bake some nice traditional English Rich Scones.

This was another recipe M's nan Eva taught me how to make. They're so simple and easy, it's nice to keep a batch in the freezer for unexpected guests.

225gr Self-raising flour
pinch salt
25gr caster sugar
50gr dried fruit
50gr margarine
1 egg, beaten with enough milk to make 150ml

Preheat mark 7. Mix flour and salt together. Rub in margarine (or butter if using instead). Mix in sugar and fruit. Make a well in the middle and mix in egg and milk mix, reserving a little to brush on top. Stir until a soft dough. Pour onto floured surface. Knead briefly and roll out to 1/2 in thick. Cut into 2 1/5 in circles, brush tops with egg and milk mix. Bake 10 minutes. 

Poured myself a cuppa, spread a split scone with butter and some homemade Summer Berries jam and sat back to enjoy the rest of my day off.  I even used my Wales mug! (though I haven't been to Wales yet; it was a gift)

No comments:

Post a Comment